I recently had a request from Deb of Life Beyond Stuff to provide suggestions for still finding happiness and fun, while trying to live frugally and dig out of debt. Kirk and I have been living fairly frugally over the past year, and VERY frugally since the beginning of 2011. Because of this, we’ve had to get creative when finding ways to entertain ourselves without spending money.
Since many of you are trying to do the same thing, I’ve put together the following list of free (or really, really cheap) ways to entertain yourself without breaking your budget per Deb’s request.
Before you read the below list, make sure you think about the reasons you want to use your money to pay down debts rather than to entertain yourself. If it helps, make a list of the reasons.
Next, imagine the feeling you’ll have when your debts are all paid off and your money is your own. Bask in the freedom and happiness of the vision for a moment before you move on to the below list.
- Go for a walk around your neighborhood or city.
- Plan a picnic in a close-by scenic location or park, and then take a bike ride to get there.
- Stream or rent a movie, pop popcorn, get in your pajamas and enjoy a nice night in.
- If you have kids and the weather is nice, pitch a tent and camp out in your backyard.
- Play a board game like Scrabble or Monopoly.
- Put together a puzzle.
- Play a card game (a deck of cards is so cheap and can provide hours of entertainment).
- Go hiking somewhere close, but new.
- Check out any free concerts or lectures in your area (we have quite a few through our local library).
- Visit some of your local parks.
- Hit your local library and check out some new books, magazines, movies, music CDs or audio books.
- If you’re a parent to little kids, check out the story times at your local library.
- Invite some friends over and ask them to each bring a bottle of wine and an appetizer. Listen to some music and talk.
- Check out the “free days” at your local museums and zoos.
- Make a movie. (If you have kids this movie will likely be much different than a movie you make with your sweetie. Hey, whatever keeps you entertained!)
- Go outside at night and try to identify the constellations.
- Learn a new language using the resources available at your local library.
- Learn to play an instrument using the resources available from your local library.
- Surf the Internet.
What kinds of free (or really cheap) things do you do to entertain yourself?
Did you like this post? If so, please consider leaving a comment, and signing up to receive updates by email or RSS feed from Ex-Consumer. It’s completely free and I never spam! You can also follow me on Twitter and Facebook.